< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Fibroids
Created On: 02/21/2006 10:05 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/28/2006 09:39 PM

Author Icon
toby459

Hi Robin....Are you having an Abdominal Hysterectomy, a Vaginal Hysterectomy, or a Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy? Each one comes with different degrees of post op pain, with the Vaginal Hysterectomy being the least painful, and the Abdominal Hysterectomy being the most painful, as the surgeon is cutting through the abdominal muscles. HOWEVER, these days even with abdominal hysterectomies, incisions are a bit smaller, and pain meds are better, so post op pain is more tolerable. Usually, large symptomatic fibroids get worse over time, so you'll probably eventually need the hysterectomy anyway. Have it done now, before the fibroids get larger. Look at it this way - you said you suffer severe pain every single month, & it will last until menopause. After your hysterectomy, you will only have pain for a few days post operatively, and then NEVER again!!...hooray!!......As for the orgasms, the majority of patients DO continue to have the same sex life as before hysterectomy. Since you have very large fibroids, you will be much better off with having the surgery. Hysterectomies are fairly routine procedures, & I'm sure yours will go well....take a nice deep breath & relax, you're making the right decision. Hope this helped....Kim C. (Gyn surgical RN)

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 04/28/2006 07:16 PM

Author Icon
robinw

HiI am having a hystererectomy on Monday, May 1, 2006. I have been suffering from severe pain from fibroid tumors which is more painful during my period. The doctor said that the fibroids are very large. I am nervous about the surgury and the pain after and I have been told that I might not be able to have an orgasm after the surgury and some women have said that their sex life has improved sinced the surgury and the pain doesn't last long.I would like to hear your opinion. I am happily married and I have 8 children and I am definitely not having any more children, I had my tubes tied after the last child.My grandmother and my sister had the same surgury and they said they never felt better and their sex life is definitely better.please get back to me. Hopefully I will hear from you before I go in the hospital.rw
 03/09/2006 06:29 PM

Author Icon
toby459

Sorry, had this posting submitted twice by mistake!!

03/09/2006 06:29 PM

Author Icon
toby459

Hi KoKoM,I am SO happy to hear from you & that your surgery went well...I knew you'd be pleasantly surprised about the lap hyster being a breeze....your surgeon sounds like the one I work with - high tech, very experienced & very skilled laparoscopically....I'm so glad he was able to do everything through the scope...yes, we have done fibroids as large as yours...it's not easy, but if the surgeon perserveres with patience, it can all be done through the scope....I'm glad yours turned out just as I had expected...I am SO happy for you that I can't even tell you!!!.....your email made my night....it is very rewarding to see & hear how happy patients are after lap hysters....thank you for your compliments, but you're the awesome one by getting other opinions so you could make the best, most informed decision!!...there should be more like you.....I'm really thrilled for you!!....Best of luck...keep us posted on your recovery!.....Kim C.
 03/09/2006 01:21 PM

Author Icon
KoKoM

Hi Kim,Hi ladies,Boy did I miss talking to youl! Well, I came home last night from my Mom's. She is so wonderful...she took great care of me! In case some of you don't know me I had a supracervical hyst which is where they remove my cervix w/fibroids and I keep my ovaries and cervix. Oh my gosh....I can't tell you how Happy I am now that this is over with. Well let me tell you what happened: After my surgery they took me upstairs to my room and the doctor came in shortly thereafter to tell me it went very smoothly. He said that he didn't realize how big my fibroid was and I had a lot of scar tissue from my myomactomy nine years ago which was also stuck to my bowels. He said he thought initially when he first went in lapriscopically that he was going to have to open me up but he said it took him a little longer but he did it. He said my cells were normal when they first did a d&c to make sure there were no cancer cells. I stayed in the hospital over night. The worst part was the IV and cathetar....I wanted them out! The pain was there and I took morphine one time after my surgery and that was it! The only way to describe the pain is when your period starts and you get cramps. I can honestly tell you that the pain was on a 1 to 10 no more than a 3. Nothing compared to my periods. The doctor couldn't believe how well I was handling the pain. I told him my periods pain was on a scale to 1-10 the first 2 days was a 20plus. My family couldn't believe that. I realize now, oh my gosh, how did I live like that with all that pain for so long. I guess you just learn to live with it and think well it will get better. It was the BEST decision I ever made!! I have 5 tiny incisions and the great part about it they are extremely small..covered only a band aid. And instead of stitches the incisions were glued which apparently is the new tech stuff. This doctor is definitely high tech. It just makes me feel a @#%$ of a lot better knowing it all turned out. The one thing that did disturb me was when the other doctors did tests why did they not see this huge fibroids? The last doctor did a more advanced procedure and said it looked like a had several small ones. Makes you really realize you have to get several opinions on everything, medically! I am feeling better still have some dull pain and almost like sharp stabbing pain at times but understandably why. Other than that...I feel good. I am really going to take the next couple weeks and just sit home & really take care of myself. I am surprised at myself prior to surgery remaining positive and not losing control. But I really have to contribute that to family and friends like you, Kim...Thank you for helping me so much thru this hard time...I will never forget you!!! It really meant a lot to me...you are an awesome human being and I am priviledged to have meant you!!!!!Any ways, for any of you whom are having a hyst lapriscopically...it was a breeze!! KMFibroid was as big as a 3mth pregnant woman.41yrs old

-------------------------
This is the signature
 03/02/2006 10:18 PM

Author Icon
toby459

Hi KoKoM,Sorry I am just getting to my email now at this late hour...hopefully by now you are in the bathroom from that delicious bowel prep that is now taking effect...let me reassure you, YES, it is typical to be told for ANY laparoscopic surgery that it might turn into an open surgery. The consent you signed should have said that. It's a "just in case"....HOWEVER, gyn laparoscopies RARELY turn into open cases. For example, if you have tons of adhesions in your abdomen & pelvis making it too difficult to perform laparoscopically, it will turn into an open case...please keep in mind this RARELY happens. I mean RARELY.....we have done MANY lap hysterectomies on a uterus as large as yours. If you are keeping your cervix and ovaries, your surgery should be scheduled as "Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy", and your consent should say the same thing, with the addition of "possible abdominal hysterectomy"......if your ovaries were coming out, you would read on the consent "possible bilateral salpingoophorectomy"........a TOTAL Laparoscopic Hysterectomy is removal of uterus and cervix. Removal of uterus, cervix, AND ovaries is scheduled Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy with Bilateral Salpingoophorectomy. I'm sure your surgeon knows exactly what you are having done, but make sure you speak with him before your surgery and before anesthesia gives you any drugs....I'm sure he will put your mind at ease.....there should be no reason for him to take out the cervix and/or ovaries if he told you he wouldn't....usually if it's not on the consent form, the surgeon doesn't do it.....if he THINKS he might take out something else depending on what he sees inside, it will say so on your consent & it will read as "Possible __________"....ask to see your consent form tomorrow....I'm sure your mind will be more at ease......I HIGHLY doubt at your age he will take ovaries...I'm sure he will do exactly what he discussed with you....there's usually NO surprises.....I'm so glad to hear from you the day before your surgery, as I've been thinking about you for the last 2 days....I'm excited for you!!!....Good luck, and email us post op as soon as you get to a computer....Oh, and you were probably scheduled for an overnight stay just in case you feel wiped out from the anesthesia & you don't want to go home that night, as it's probably going to be a fairly long procedure because your uterus is so large....and it's normal to book an overnighter with such a large uterus just in case it turns into an open, but like I said, that RARELY happens....it sounds as if everything is proceeding as normal and as usual...nothing strikes me as being out of the ordinary here....good luck!!....my thoughts will be with you tomorrow.....Kim C.
 03/02/2006 03:11 PM

Author Icon
KoKoM

Hi Kim,Thanks for your reply. As usual, very helpful!!I have a question for you. My surgery is set for tomorrow and here is what just happened? You know I wasn't nervous about my surgery tomorrow, really, until they just called me to tell me that they have me scheduled for an overnight stay (just in case) which is fine but the nurse had on her paperwork a Total Hysterectomy which I discussed with the doctor we were keeping the ovaries and cervix. She said the doctor will see me before I go in anyways. She marked in on my chart and she said it happens some times where it is noted on her paperwork but the one I signed when I went 2 weeks ago clearly shows what is being done and what was discussed with the doctor. My question is: does your doctor typically tell his patients this too that based on what they see inside they may have to do an abdominal hyst when scheduled for it lapiroscopically for removing the uterus only due to fibroids? I have been told, my uterus is as big as a 3mth pregnant woman. Also, how long does it take for the bowel prep stuff to take effect? I took it about 35 minutes ago and nothing yet!Pls help...I am freaking out now!!Thanks KM

This is the signature
 02/25/2006 02:08 PM

Author Icon
toby459

Hi KoKoM, I am so happy for you that I mentioned you to the surgeon I work with. He is very happy to hear you are doing the robotics surgery at UOM. He also agreed it was the best choice! Can't wait to hear from you postop. Good luck & God Bless. Talk to you soon.....Kim C.
 02/24/2006 08:44 AM

Author Icon
KoKoM

Hi Kim,I am so comfortable about my surgery that it almost seems wrong. I am staying with my Mom for a couple days but when I get home I will email you.Have a wonderful week and look forward to talking to you soon!Thanks again !!!!KM

This is the signature
 02/23/2006 10:45 PM

Author Icon
toby459

Awww, KoKoM, you are such a sweet person. Thank you for your compliment. I feel so lucky to be able to work with & learn from such an experienced, skilled Gyn laparoscopic surgeon so I can pass the information on to help others. I can't wait to hear from you after your surgery! I'm certain you are going to be very pleased. As for lifting weights, I believe the time period is still 6 weeks, whether it's done laparoscopically or open. Both procedures still go through the fascial layer of the abdomen, in which case if you lift too early, you can get a fascial defect & end up with a hernia. You don't need that after going through all this. You will recover quicker & be able to do things quicker than patients having an abdominal hyster, but the weight lifting time period I believe is the same. So don't overdo it. I went to see a patient about 4hrs. postop, & she looked like she had nothing done! She was up walking to the bathroom & said she had minimal pain, very tolerable, & she said she didn't even need a Tylenol. I was surprised because she was a very obese woman. I went back up to see her about 2hrs. later & to my surprise, the nurses on the floor told me she was discharged! Another patient last week wanted to drive to Ohio (from Pa.) the same night after surgery. The surgery took a little longer than expected, as she had so many adhesions inside, so she opted to stay overnight & left the next morning. The surgeon told us that she made her drive to Ohio the next afternoon with no problem. Laparoscopic surgery is the way to go! I'm so excited for you. Keep us all posted. Big hugs to you!......Kim
 02/23/2006 03:57 PM

Author Icon
KoKoM

Thanks Keena,That does help a lot. I am happy to hear yours went well and that you made a great decision just to take care of everything so you didn't have to go back. That is how I decided to not do any other alternative procedures because I don't "ever" want to go back after this.I for sure will email you guys when I am at home. I will be staying at my Mother's also for at least 3 days when I get home. Mom's are so wonderful and they know just what to do!Thanks again!KM

This is the signature
 02/23/2006 03:32 PM

Author Icon
KLH012861

Hi KokoM,I'm new to this forum but I wanted to put my two cents in if it will help you. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy in 2002 at the age of 41. I put up with 7 years of heavy bleeding (flooding), passing clots as big as my fist, excruciating pain and periods that lasted 3 weeks. This was all due to fibroids and the start of endometriosis. I tried medication for 3 years with little success. My doctor could have just removed my uterus but I told him to take everything so I wouldn't have problems down the road and have to go back in for more surgery or worry about getting cancer there and he agreed. It sounds like the surgery you're having is a bit different than mine but similar enough that my experience might help you know what to expect. The surgery went fine and the recovery was amazingly easy. I only needed minimal pain medication right after the surgery and nothing for pain after the second day. I really didn't have much pain - I was just very sore inside from all the cutting and I needed to heal from the inside out. I spent 3 days in the hospital and then spent a week at my mother's house. After that I spent 5 weeks recuperating at home before I could go back to work. I was driving less than 3 weeks after the surgery. My only restrictions were no stairs for 3 weeks and no lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk and no running the vacuum cleaner for 6 weeks. I'm sure everything will go just fine for you. Let us know how you're doing after the surgery.Keena
 02/22/2006 11:33 AM

Author Icon
KoKoM

Kim,You are right ..he is removing my uterues from one of the incisions. My surgery is scheduled for next Friday 3/3. It was actually a god send because when I originally saw him 2 weeks ago he told me that he could fit me in around the end of May. I told him I couldn't wait that long because my insurance was going to run out and more importantly I can't live with the pain and bleeding any more. He told me he thought he had a cancellation in 2 weeks and he would try and fit me in. That was on a Friday I called that Monday and I was already on the schedule. How's that for good luck...someone upstairs was certainly looking out for me. I believe Things happen for a reason and when it happened that way I felt that was a sign. Talk to you soon, KM

This is the signature
 02/22/2006 11:21 AM

Author Icon
KoKoM

Hi Kim,You know I have to tell you...I have been on a hysterectomy/eblation site for almost 2 months. They are wonderful women who are very supportive. But every time I hear from you you make me feel the most comfortable! You are an awesome person and if they haven't told you on this site you are a real blessing to us here!!!!! Thankfully, some one who is very knowelegeable with these procedures who can tell us "first hand" what to expect. For the first time in a couple weeks, I finally feel as though I have made the right decision and I THANK YOU for that. Now I don't feel as scared and/or anxious. Do you know how long it will take me to go back to lifting wts/working out? It seems as though the pain is very manageable after surgery !Thank you again!!KM

This is the signature
 02/21/2006 11:24 PM

Author Icon
toby459

KoKoM, There is no difference in postop discomfort or recovery with partial vs. total. Total removes the cervix and ovaries. No risk of cervical cancer or ovarian cancer with them removed. Partial still needs routine pap tests for cervical cancer screening, & it is still possible to get ovarian cancer, however, chances are slim if there is no family history of it. Some females need their cervix to reach orgasm, & we routinely ask this question. This is one factor which determines if we will be doing total vs. supracervical.....hope this was somewhat helpful....Kim
 02/21/2006 11:19 PM

Author Icon
toby459

Hi KoKoM,I most certainly DO remember you, & I have been anxiously waiting to hear what the UOM said....A very skilled laparoscopic surgeon can safely perform the supracervical hysterectomy without robotics, however, there may not be any in your area. In which case I would say YES, go with the laparoscopic robotic surgery!!....Anything gyn laparoscopically is better than an abdominal incision. Less bleeding, less pain, quicker recovery. Now you mentioned he is leaving the cervix in place, which makes me want to ask you "how is he going to bring your uterus with fibroids out through the vagina?" Your cervix will be in the way. Unless he is taking out the cervix also. Just curious. Usually when the cervix is left in place (A supracervical hysterectomy), the uterus is chopped up by a Morcellating machine & brought out through one of the small belly incisions. You should not have more than moderate discomfort postop. Most of our patients go home either that evening, or the next day. BEST OF LUCK!!...I know you've been suffering for a long time now. I think this is the light at the end of your tunnel....Also, good job being informed & getting all those opinions!! More people should be as smart as you are!....When are you scheduled for surgery?......Kim
 02/21/2006 11:59 AM

Author Icon
KoKoM

Also, Sherrie if you read this can you comment on your experience with your partial hysterectomy?Or anyone for that matter.Thank youKM

This is the signature
 02/21/2006 10:05 AM

Author Icon
KoKoM

Hi I am 41 yrs old...About 2 mths ago I took a leave of absence from my job (6days a week 65hrs) to take care of my fibroids in my uterus. I had a myomactomy in 1999 due to a fibroids that was outside on a stalk of my uterus. I have never had the opportunity to have children and at this age it is not a good idea. I have always had bad pain and heavy bleeding my whole life with my menstral. I have never had endemetriosis or anything and always have been 28 days to the day. I am now experiencing more heavy bleeding and extreme pain due to the fibroids inside my uterus. I decided when I took my leave of absence to do a lot of research and go for other doctors for opinions. I should say that my primary doctor back in Jan of this year originally sched me for a Thermachoice baloon eblation with a d&c. From doing research I have learned that with this type of eblation it would not really work with my problem. So I saw four doctors for opinions...yes four. There were times I couldn't decide what to do because everybody has different opinions. The eblation may or may not work, the resection (they cut out the fibroids with an instrument thru the vagina) there are no guarantees & bleeding is a factor after the procedure and still no guarantee of them growing back, UAE is where they inject the fibroids thru the growing with a solution to try and shrink them..not sure about the bleeding and it is painful. The last doctor I saw which is a well known doctor at UOM does NON invasive surgeries for women. The only guarantee that these would not come back is to remove the uterus. My primary recommended as a last resort to do this but again with a 3" incision in lower abdomin and a long recovery. This doctor will do it lapiroscopic assisted w/robotics with four incisions: one at the belly button, one on each side and one lower abdomin. He will remove my uterus and fibroids after cutting them up thru the vagina. After he will use a bandaid to cover openings which I am happy about that. So I have decided to do this which is called a Supercervical Hysterectomy where they remove your uterus and I keep my ovaries and cervix. I was so confused about what procedure to do but after last months "painful" menstrual I decided this week that I can' live that way anymore. I would be so disappointed if I had chosen those other procedures and them failing. If I was younger and wanted to have children, then I would of definitely went with the a procedure to preserve my uterus. I just want my life back.Kim, I know I have talked to you once before and you have been extremely helpful. You are a OR nurse and was wondering how painful this procedure is and recovery? Do you know a lot of women who have success with this procedure? Any details would be great. Thank you!Thank you all for listening!!KM

This is the signature

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Uterus News
Feature Story
 Education Center

Conditions
Treatments
Diagnostics

Find a Physician
HTA in the News
 Heavy Periods Center
sharonbober  Uterus
 Hero™

Dr. Sharon Bober:
Healing the Sex Lives of Cancer Patients
About Heroes
 Community
Uterus1 Forums
Patient Stories
Frequently
    Asked Questions

One Question Poll
    Archive

Reference
Locate a Specialist
Online Resources
Uterus Anatomy
Video Library
Menstrual Diary
Office Visits
Patient Brochures

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.